The Florida Bar
American Bar Association
Weston Florida Chamber of Commerce

Should a Person Obtain a Living Will or Health Care Surrogate?

Living Wills / Health Care Surrogates - Should a person obtain a Living Will or Health Care Surrogate?

The Florida Legislature has acknowledged that a Competent Adult has the right to make decisions concerning his or her right to choose or refuse medical treatment which would prolong their life in the event they had a terminal medical condition.

Pursuant to Florida Statute 765 an individual may prepare a document called a Living Will.

A Living Will must be signed by a Competent Adult inthe presence of two witnesses one of whom is neither a spouse nor relative.

After the preparation of the Living Will it is the individual's responsibility to provide notification to their doctor.

Under Florida Statute 765, life prolonging procedures include provisions for food and water for terminally ill persons. Living Wills do not include medical procedures to provide comfort care or to alleviate pain.

A Health Care Surrogate involves a Competent Adult who designates a person to make all medical decisions on behalf of an individual during a period of mental or physical incapacity.

During an Incapacity, a Health Care Surrogate is the individual who consults with physicians and makes important decisions on an Emergency basis. The Surrogate can provide Informed Consent to medical procedures while a person cannot do so. The Surrogate should try to follow the wishes of the incapacitated individual, but ultimately the Health Care Surrogate will make medical decisions which they believe is in the incapacitated persons best interests.

If you need Legal Advice regarding the preparation of a Living Will or Health Care Surrogate, I am prepared to assist.

Client Reviews
If you ever need a compassionate, hardworking attorney who believes in doing the right thing for families going through a divorce, but being fair and honest, go with Mr Kaplan, Esq. He is one attorney has always been patient, up front and defending your rights with integrity. Can’t ask for any better, especially one who works so hard as Mr.Kaplan!!! Thank you for taking care of our Service members and Veterans like me!! Charles
I would like to recommend my attorney's, Mr. Kenneth Kaplan, excellent services to anyone looking to represented for a child support or divorce matter. He can definitely be counted on. Very trustworthy and knowledgeable. He finds solutions to problems that seem can't be solved. Ileana
9/1/17 was one of the best days of my life! Mr. Kenneth Kaplan did an awesome job on my case.I would recommend him to anyone who needs a family law attorney. He's always there when I had a question, concern or needed reassurance. I was able to call, email or text him and he promptly responded. I told him my financial situation and he still worked with me. He cares more about his clients than the money. Evelyn, Nancy & Virginia, his assistants were awesome. I'm extremely satisfied with his professionalism and knowledge to help me get what I wanted for this case. Anonymous