The Florida Bar
American Bar Association
Weston Florida Chamber of Commerce

Name Changes Following 9/11

Name Changes

There are many reasons why people seek to change their names. As long as the name change is done for an appropriate reason and no for some ulterior motive then a name change will typically be granted. Some of the reasons a name change will not be granted is if there has been a felony conviction and the petitioner is attempting conceal their identity. Additionally, a name change may not be entered when people are trying to avoid creditors in or have filed bankruptcy. A name change can conceal a person’s identity and therefore it is important that there is no negative or dishonest motivation used in order to change an individuals identity.

Following the unfortunate terrorist attack on 9/11 there are new measures which have been put into place so that terrorists are not allowed to obtain fake identification in this country. It is now a requirement that in all petitions for Name Change that people are finger-printed and a background check is necessary to secure the identities of all individuals who seek to have their names changed.

A name change involves the filing of a petition for Name Change filed in the Circuit Court where the petitioner resides. If the individual is an adult then this process is an uncontested one.

The petition for Name Change and the filing fee are filed along with the fingerprint card, so that the Court can check and make sure that the person is the one who is filing the pleading, and that there is not criminal background.

The process for a Name Change for a Minor is different than that for an adult. Both parents must consent to the Name Change for a minor. In the event that one of the parents objects to the Name Change, then the Name Change will be denied.

If one of the parent cannot be located, then the publication of the Name Change can be done and a Default Judgment entered which will allow the petitioning parent to proceed to a final hearing on an uncontested uearing.

When a Name Change is granted a Certified Copy of the Final Judgment for Name Change can be provided to Office of Vital Statistics so that a new Birth Certificate can e entered with the new information about the parents new name.

Client Reviews
If you ever need a compassionate, hardworking attorney who believes in doing the right thing for families going through a divorce, but being fair and honest, go with Mr Kaplan, Esq. He is one attorney has always been patient, up front and defending your rights with integrity. Can’t ask for any better, especially one who works so hard as Mr.Kaplan!!! Thank you for taking care of our Service members and Veterans like me!! Charles
I would like to recommend my attorney's, Mr. Kenneth Kaplan, excellent services to anyone looking to represented for a child support or divorce matter. He can definitely be counted on. Very trustworthy and knowledgeable. He finds solutions to problems that seem can't be solved. Ileana
9/1/17 was one of the best days of my life! Mr. Kenneth Kaplan did an awesome job on my case.I would recommend him to anyone who needs a family law attorney. He's always there when I had a question, concern or needed reassurance. I was able to call, email or text him and he promptly responded. I told him my financial situation and he still worked with me. He cares more about his clients than the money. Evelyn, Nancy & Virginia, his assistants were awesome. I'm extremely satisfied with his professionalism and knowledge to help me get what I wanted for this case. Anonymous